It looks like every fixture involving Liverpool and AC Milan is one that would always be full of comebacks, as the hosts, Liverpool secured a hard fought comeback win to pip AC Milan 3-2.


The two sides had previously met on two occasions in Europe, both coming in the final of the Champions League in 2005 and 2007. While in the 2005 final, Liverpool made the dramatic comeback from three goals down in Istanbul to eventually win on penalties, AC Milan won 2-1 in regulation time in 2007.

It was the hosts who welcomed their opponents with a barrage of attacks in the opening minutes. Jordan Henderson first played in Andy Robertson, who was up on the overlap. The Scot's cross found Divock Origi, who only managed to fire wide.

They got another opportunity in the 6th minute, this time, Robertson intercepting a pass from Frank Kessie, before doing a cut back to Diogo Jota. The Portugese midfielder fired at goal, but his shot was well blocked by Fikayo Tomori.

Tomori would not be a second time lucky as he conceded an own goal just three minutes later. A swift one-two interplay between Trent Alexander Arnold and Mohammed Salah released the England defender, whose cross cum shot was deflected pass Mike Maignan in goal by Tomori as Liverpool took the lead.

It was obviously a busy night for Tomori as he once again was on hand moments later to ensure the score remained at a one-goal deficit. Salah had beaten Theo Hernandez and fired towards goal, only for Tomori to throw himself at the ball for a block.

Liverpool got an opportunity in the 13th minute to double their lead from the spot. A shot from Robertson was block Ismael Bennacer, whose arm, away from his body had stopped the ball from going on target. The referee immediately point to the spot. Maignan made a fine double save, first from Salah's resulting spot kick and the followup header by Jota.

Maignan needed to be on the alert to deny Liverpool on the 30th minute. Henderson teeing up Salah and the Egyptian's effort on target was tipped over the bar by the goalkeeper.

With Liverpool having dominated play for over 40 minutes in the first half, the match took a dazzling turn in two crazy minutes as Milan scored in quick succession to take the lead.

Diaz moved the ball smoothly through the middle, before finding Alexis Saelesmaeker, who in turn played Rafael Leao on. Leao realizing he was almost crowded by the Liverpool players, slid it through to Ante Rebic on the left side and the Croatian hit a first time curling effort on his right foot to level things up.

Milan decided to utilize that momentum as they got their second two minutes later. A nice move from the visitors down the middle resulted in Rebic being played through on the left. Unselfish, Rebic crossed the ball across goal for Theo Hernandez, whose effort was saved on the line by a sliding Robertson. Diaz was just on hand to tap home from.

The visitors almost doubled their lead just after the restart. A short corner from Milan and Henderson missed his clearance, allowing the ball through to Hernandez, who found Simon Kjaer in front of goal for an easy tap in. The flag was, however, up for offside.

Liverpool responded in like fashion in the 48th minute as Salah redeemed his face to restore parity, having missed a penalty in the first half. He payed an one-two with Origi, before place the ball beyond Maignan in goal. There was a quick review by VAR on whether Salah was offside when he received the return ball, but the goal stood as he wasn't.


The comeback was complete for Liverpool in the 69th minute, after a corner from Alexander Arnold was cleared by Bennacer, but only as far as Henderson on the edge of the box. The Liverpool captain hit a one-time half volley into the bottom corner to complete the revival for the Reds.

One last chance fell to Milan just at the dearth, when Diaz found himself in a pocket of space just outside the Liverpool box. Deciding to go alone rather than put the ball into the box for his teammates to attack, he couldn't get enough control to allow the ball dip and it sailed just over the bar.

Concluding Thoughts

Liverpool must count themselves lucky to have secured the win, especially after the penalty miss and conceding two quick goals. Overall they deserved the win after controlling the game for almost half of it.

They showed frailties in defence, especially in the heat of those two quick goals conceded and this displeasure was seen on the face of Virgil van Dijk, who played the entire duration on the bench.

Milan may feel quite unlucky, but should hold their head high for a battle well fought. They would hope to get at least their own victory in the return leg.