There would have been no better way to end the match week and head into the international break than what was witnessed at Anfield in the last game of Matchday 7, as Liverpool and Manchester City played out a pulsating 2-2 draw.


In what was a feisty contest between two teams who are firm favorites for the premier league title, there was nothing to separate both teams in the end, with both teams owning each half.

Being the highest scoring team in the league this season, Liverpool were going head-to-head with the team with the meanest defence in the league, who have only let in one goal prior to the encounter, which was in their 1-0 loss to Tottenham on Matchday 1.

Bernando Silva showed why he chose to stay at City as he skipped past five Liverpool defenders in the 21st minute, before playing Phil Foden through on goal, whose effort on goal was thwarted by a brilliant Alisson Becker save.

Having almost created a permanent spot for himself on the left side of defence for City, originally a right back, Joao Cancelo burst down the left flank in the 23rd minute before playing a pass to Kevin de Bruyne. The Belgian's left-footed effort was well wide of the goal.

There were penalty shouts by City in the 32nd minute, when James Milner looked to have tripped Phil Foden just at the edge of the penalty area. Referee Paul Tierney was not interested as he had a good view, neither was did he go to check the VAR screen.

It was a rampaging affair for City who should have wrapped up the game in the first half. They went again two minutes later. Foden mesmerizing down the left flank, before floating a deep cross to the far post. De Bruyne should be burying that one, but his flying header sailed well over the bar.

Liverpool were caged in the first half and would have been blown away if they had not responded in the second half.

They gave the needed response after the interval and in the 50th minute, they almost took the lead. Joel Matip carried the ball to push the attack, before releasing Diogo Jota, who dribbled past Dias, before shooting with his left foot. Ederson Moraes was well alert to push away from goal.

The Brazilian goalkeeper could not stop Liverpool just before the hour mark. Mohammed Salah surges down the right flank in style, before reading the run of Sadio Mane into the box, to whom he released a fine ball. The Senegal international still had much to do to fire a low, hard shot past Ederson in goal. Liverpool took the lead against the run of play.

The visitors drew level in the 69th minute. Gabriel Jesus, who has been having an excellent season so far made a run across the Liverpool defence. With a precise pass he finds Foden, who took just one touch before placing a low crisp effort past Alisson and restored parity.

Another brilliant moment from Salah restored his side's lead. In what was a Messi-esque goal, the Egyptian dazzled past the City defence, beating about five players, turning Dias in the final act onto his right foot, before firing past Ederson on his weaker foot.


The nature of the Salah goal looked like one that would prove to be the winner, but Man City were not laying low and eventually came back into the game in the 76th minute.

A swift transition into attack saw Foden on the left side make a cross into the box, which was deflected unto the path of De Bruyne at the edge of the box. The former Werder Bremen man did not need any touch to fire a one-time left-footed effort that went past Alisson, not without taking a deflection off Matip.

The game was reaching a climax and Liverpool should have finally earned three points with just three minutes of the game left, but for the timely intervention of Rodri, who was very quick to make a sliding block, denying Fabinho's shot at goal, after the Brazilian had received a cross from Salah at the far post that was missed by everyone in the box, including Ederson.

Concluding Thoughts

Pep Guardiola would know that his team's inability to take their chances in the first half definitely came back to hurt them.

Despite controlling the better part of the game, they had to come from behind twice to earn a point. A disappointing result City fans would think.

Jurgen Klopp admitted post-match that his team were second best in the first half and rightly so. Their goals came against the run of play and almost even grabbed a third that would have eventually won it.

The Reds would take a solace in the fact that they are the only unbeaten side in the league this campaign.