For the first time since 2007, a player not named Cristiano Ronaldo or Leo Messi is named Best Player of the Year.
Luca Modric is the new king and deservedly so, those Ronaldo and Messi debates can rest now, at least for another year.
This has to be the most confusing and diabolic FIFA awards I've seen so far. A lot of inconsistencies and talking points, but I'll highlight a few here.
1. Salah is one of the three best players of the year, but wasn't included in the team of the year, Messi probably took his spot, in my opinion he's the 3rd best player last year, not the trophyless Salah.
2. This one is rather annoying.
Dani Alves occupying the right back position in the team of the year.
Dani Alves in 2018:
16 club games,
2 games for Brazil,
Last 16 of the Champions League,
Didn't go to the World Cup,
Hasn't played a game this season.
Pavard, Carvajal, Walker, Kimmich, Arnold Trent.... I could go on, performed better in that position.
3. This one is funny and confusing.
De Gea was included in the team of the year while Courtois took home the award for the goalkeeper of the year.
4. Salah won Puskas trophy for a goal that wasn't even nominated for the Premier League goal of the season. This look like some compensation to me.
5. Who does an end of the year award in September? But the most annoying sight on the night was Idris Elba wearing a Gareth Southgate waistcoat... That was a disaster 😕